Mazda3 Forums banner

What I paid for my 2011 Mazda2 Touring...

22K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  fam 
#1 ·
To start, I've been working in Collateral loans for a major bank for the past 3.5 years so I was aware for the most part on how to crunch numbers and haggle with the dealership. The biggest part where I came out on top was haggling for more on my trade in, which given I had 86,000 miles on my trade in and there were some serious scratches and such, I actually received more than what I should have as far as "Dealer Trade in" pricing is concerned.

I purchased my 2011 Mazda2 Touring on 08/08/2010 for $18,282.97 OTD (Including tax, tag and title). I financed the amount at 4.90% through BB&T @ $294.20/mo for 72 Months. The breakdown is as follows:

Invoice price: $17,075.00 (Including a $750.00 Destination charge)
Dealer Fee: $598.00
Gap Insurance: $700.00 (this is a bit much for Gap Ins. but since their Gap covers up to 120%, I gave them the benefit of the doubt)
Tax, tag & title: $1,177.00 (Approx.)
Amt owed on Trade (05' MZ3): $6,500.00
Amt received for trade in: $7,500.00
Cash Down: $300.00
Total Amount Down: $1,300.00

Grand Total Financed: $18,282.97

After looking over the figures a couple times, I really got a nice deal. I'm very happy with the price I paid for the vehicle and even more happy with the car. It's tons of fun to drive and amazing on gas. Here's a quick pic if you'd like to see :) Zoom-Zoom!

See less See more
#3 ·
[quote author=rubaiyatu link=topic=178042.msg3779072#msg3779072 date=1283105047]
Congratulations on your acquisition! And, thank you for sharing your purchasing experience.

Long May You Run.

(p.s: what did you name your 2?)
[/quote]

No problem. I figured I'd be a pioneer and be the first in the US to post up my MZ2. Oddly enough, I haven't named it yet, lol. My friend told me I needed to name my old 3 but I never did. Time to start brain storming I guess, lol.

#5 ·
[quote author=Liberalguy link=topic=178042.msg3922474#msg3922474 date=1296630334]
Hey thanks for posting your pic and prices paid. Just curious how happy you are with your purchase several months later?
[/quote]

I'm glad you asked actually. While I'm still very happy with my purchase and the reason WHY I purchased, there's still one thing that gets me a little. Obviously I have an ATX and the specs state 27 City/ 33 Hwy. Running the car with the Heat and A/C off in the winter, as well as driving the car like a grandma (letting off the gas at 2-2.5k rpm for gear shifts, slowing down farther back without using brakes much, etc.), I've achieved at best, 29-30 Mpg in the city and 31mpg on the Hwy. When I was driving the car in my regular fashion with the A/C on during the summer when I first purchased the car, I was only seeing 27mpg almost all the time...even on the Hwy. I was getting 24-26mpg in my old Mazda3 hatch overall so the difference in mpg has really only benefited me somewhat. Any who, I digress on that matter.

After some extensive time behind the wheel (8,000+ miles), I'd say I got what I paid for. The HP is fine, I get where I need to, the tires stick to the road, even in harsh rain, the room in the hatch is more than ample for groceries and a few other items (after folding down the seats, I was able to fit a TV hutch, coffee table and a side table in the hatch and passenger seat with no issue), the seats are comfortable (center console would be nice but no big deal), the glove compartment could be a little bigger (again, no big deal) and the steering is always fun, as are all Mazdas to me.

Would I buy the Mazda2 again if I had to? Most certainly :)

Oh, one last thing: Since the car takes almost 5 quarts of 0w20 synthetic motor oil which at this time is $8/qt., my first oil change with tire rotation/balance, set me back about $90.00. So, for those of you considering purchasing a Mazda2, there's an idea of what a simple oil change will take out of your wallet. Yes of course you can drive further on synthetic oil but still, $90.00 for an oil change and tire rotation? You certainly don't feel nice leaving the dealership, lol.

#6 ·
Hey Axela, I'm glad you're happy with your 2! Your mileage seems disappointingly low to meet - seems like that smaller and newer car should give you more than 1-2 mpg gain from your old 3. It also seems strange to me that you would get less than the EPA estimates on mileage even when you're driving slow (like "grandma"). In my 3, I find I get about 26-27 highway driving average, 23-25 when I drive my preferred zoom-zoom way, and I get 30-31 when I drive with mileage in mind (like going 65 mgh on highway instead of 70-80). My 3 is rated 29 on highway, which fits right where I would expect in my experience. So that's why I'm surprised with your 2's mileage performance. But oh well, maybe you're in a cold climate or other circumstances affecting mileage? I'm in very temperate California.

I agree about liking all Mazda's steering :) So how comfortable are the seats in the 2, like during long drives? Is it as comfortable as your old 3? What about road noise? Sorry if I'm asking too much, but you're the only former 3 driver with a 2 for me to ask! :p

#8 ·
[quote author=Liberalguy link=topic=178042.msg3924807#msg3924807 date=1296806844]
Hey Axela, I'm glad you're happy with your 2! Your mileage seems disappointingly low to meet - seems like that smaller and newer car should give you more than 1-2 mpg gain from your old 3. It also seems strange to me that you would get less than the EPA estimates on mileage even when you're driving slow (like "grandma"). In my 3, I find I get about 26-27 highway driving average, 23-25 when I drive my preferred zoom-zoom way, and I get 30-31 when I drive with mileage in mind (like going 65 mgh on highway instead of 70-80). My 3 is rated 29 on highway, which fits right where I would expect in my experience. So that's why I'm surprised with your 2's mileage performance. But oh well, maybe you're in a cold climate or other circumstances affecting mileage? I'm in very temperate California.

I agree about liking all Mazda's steering :) So how comfortable are the seats in the 2, like during long drives? Is it as comfortable as your old 3? What about road noise? Sorry if I'm asking too much, but you're the only former 3 driver with a 2 for me to ask! :p
[/quote]

No worries about the questions. Honestly, I like the seats a lot. They're very comfortable even during long drives. I've driven as far as a 6 hour round trip and I was perfectly fine afterward, except for some slight fatigue in my right arm due to no center console as an armrest but no big deal. Mazda should be releasing a center console very soon for the Mazda2 and once they do, it will certainly be on my things to purchase list.

In reference to the road noise, I think it's quiet as a mouse, but then again, my 3 was lowered, had a Speed3 exhaust with no catalytic converter, RX8 wheels and an intake so it was certainly anything BUT quiet, lol. That being said, I may not be the best person to ask about that, lol.

Any who, if you have anymore questions, feel free to fire away :)

#10 ·
[quote author=trend link=topic=178042.msg3957445#msg3957445 date=1299686418]
Я заплатил за эту малышку в 2008 году 18500$ + страховка 1200$
[/quote]

Bing translator came up with this:

"I paid for this little girl in 2008, $ 18500 $ 1200 + insurance"

I'd say it's pretty accurate...not sure about the little girl part though, lol.

Edit: I forgot to add my response so I'll try this out. Hopefully Bing translator translated this next sentence correctly, lol.

Это большой ценой, хорошо сделано :)

#11 ·
I know the Internet sales guy at one of the local dealers pretty well, and he had previously agreed that he could get me S-Plan (aka "Friends & Family") pricing on most any new Mazda I'd want to buy. Took a 2 for a test drive on Memorial Day and was hooked...I had sat in a 2 a couple of times prior, but had never driven one. Very impressed; it felt just like the 2nd gen Mazda 3's suspension-wise. Only bummer is that the only 2 Touring ATX models they had on the lot were black, and I refuse to buy a black car (too big of a PITA to keep nice-looking IMHO). He managed to find an Aquatic Blue one at a dealer 60 miles north that had only 19 miles on the odometer. CWP was my first choice, but the closest one was 250 miles away, and I'd be looking at $500 in transportation charges to get it (they'd have to ship a car there as part of the dealer trade). We pulled the trigger on the blue one and it was driven over the next day.

So, the final numbers ended up being:

--MSRP/asking price $17,230ish
--Invoice/S-Plan price $16,970ish
--Plus a $250 Memorial Day discount so, total price was $16,720ish

They were also doing 0% interest for 36 months through Mazda Credit (which is now 0% for 60 months), so we jumped on that. Total OTD price was $18k or so after TTL, so we put $8k down and financed $10k. $289 a month for 36 months and it's paid off, and I don't have to pay a penny of interest! :)

It's not *the* best deal I've heard of someone getting on a 2, but I don't think it's half-bad.

#12 ·
That's a pretty awesome deal dude. I wish I had an extra $8k to put on my loan, lol. I haven't been back to this page in a while, definitely need to re-do the numbers to give the exact details of my loan. The CWP was my first choice as well but my fiance convinced me it would get dirty way to quick so silver it was, lol.

#13 ·
Well, the $8k is what we had saved up to put towards a new 2012 3 hatch this fall (which would have replaced our 2006 3). We just couldn't keep being a 1-car household though, so it went towards the 2 instead and the 3 will be around for another year at least. We've put ourselves on a pretty aggressive saving plan to try to rebuild that $8k as quickly as we can, so I might just get my new 3 hatch (which is what I'd really prefer as a DD, as much as I love the 2) next summer and my wife can drive the 2.

#15 ·
Not sure about "addictive", but they're definitely engineered well. I also appreciate that they still make them in Japan instead of transferring production somewhere cheaper...I'm one of those crazy people who thinks that the quality of final assembly affects the longevity of the car :p

I'll fire up my own thread after I get some decent pictures taken; it's been raining for the past few days so the Demio's all dirty.

#16 ·
any problems with the car at all axela? i am currently saving up to buy a car in december (hopefully some good deals will be around) and i have looked into a lot of small cars and i was tied between the fiesta and the 2. i've read from some ford forums that the fiesta can get 35-45 mpg, depending on the driver. but it also has a lot of problems. however, for two relatively cheap cars and with it being my first car and dd, I just want to see if the 2 had any significant problems within the first year?

#17 ·
[quote author=Descente link=topic=178042.msg4059293#msg4059293 date=1309225937]
any problems with the car at all axela? i am currently saving up to buy a car in december (hopefully some good deals will be around) and i have looked into a lot of small cars and i was tied between the fiesta and the 2. i've read from some ford forums that the fiesta can get 35-45 mpg, depending on the driver. but it also has a lot of problems. however, for two relatively cheap cars and with it being my first car and dd, I just want to see if the 2 had any significant problems within the first year?
[/quote]

Hey :) no problems at all actually. I just hit 12,000 miles tonight and my 2 still drives and feels like new. The Fiesta has great mileage but the 2 handles great on the road. Give them both a test drive and see whatcha think :)

#18 ·
Axela you may hate me to hear this ...but the deal I got was 267 per month @ 2.9% 72mo....which included them ordering a factory armrest, $500 negative equity from trade in, and no money down ;-)

Keep in mind I did have to drive 2 hours to cleveland as locally best they would do was 280/month.

#19 ·
I know my automatic transmission option adds more money to the deal and all but your armrest negotiation and interest rate are kick ass. I'm not mad though. When I bought my car last year, 4.90% was considered great for 72 months. I'll be refinancing in August though so I'm not worried :)

#21 ·
[quote author=fam link=topic=178042.msg4059665#msg4059665 date=1309269984]
Yeah interest rates are crazy low, refinancing is the way to go!
[/quote]

Most definitely. I decided I was going to refinance after 1 year ever since day 1 of the loan and it's certainly given me good hopes when I go to work and see interest rates keep dropping. Mazda American Credit offered me 3.90% for 60 Months when I bought the vehicle but I just didn't want to worry about $30.00 extra a month ya know? Meh, we'll see what happens in 2 more months when I go to refinance.

On a side note, congrats on the great deal you got. Make sure to post your details in a new thread when you get a chance :)

#23 ·
[quote author=fam link=topic=178042.msg4059781#msg4059781 date=1309276771]
Have you done anything to your 2 yet? I loved HIDs on the 3 but without the projector lens housing Im at a mental standstill. Probably just grab a K&N and look for a cheap set of wheels\tires for autocross.
[/quote]

I'm going to quote what I said in another person's thread:

"I've done a few mods myself actually. I got the AutoExe stubby antenna, 28% tint on the front, 15% on the back, an "eat sleep mazda" sticker on the rear window, zoom zoom sticker on the front (although I wouldn't consider stickers as mods, lol), blacked out reflector overlays, k&n drop in filter and my old roommate installed my alpine deck and bluetooth adapter."

You're essentially where I'm at with my 2. The Corksport SRI didn't show good numbers at all to me so I went with the K&N drop in, the headlights aren't projection like my old 3 so I concur, no HID's and as for wheels, I really don't want to get wheels for my car unless I'm going to lower it and I probably won't lower it since I've heard too many bad comments about people lowering their 2's (clunks, crazy noises, etc). I'll probably end up finishing my sound system before anything else. Going to add an Alpine power pack, front components, rear coaxials and an 8" woofer to finish it off. I want to keep it as small and efficient as possible.

#24 ·
When I say wheels and tires its just for competition (stickies) for autocrossing, wouldnt be a full time gig...but we will see how I stack up when I race her on 7/17 then Ill know what she needs (ill post plenty of in car vids that night).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.